Lion Clubs hears about volunteer opportunities at VA | Local News
At a Danville Lions January meeting, Jamie Elson, VA Illiana Voluntary Services Specialist, spoke about volunteer opportunities at the VA.
Danville Lions began an assessment of services they provide to our community by conducting a Strategic Visioning session with Danville Lions members in November of 2023.
Aligned with looking at services already provided by Danville Lions, members decided to look at new opportunities to serve the community’s needs.
In that vein, Elson visited with the Lions to describe how people can take advantage of volunteer opportunities at the VA Illiana.
Elson presented an overview of ways to participate in Voluntary Services by visiting veterans, interacting with them, donating items to be given to them, and more.
There are many and varied opportunities for individuals and groups to volunteer at the VA. The greatest need is the food pantry. Wish lists from the veterans help define what volunteer opportunities are needed and what constitutes C Boxes and “Blessing Bags”.
February 12-16 is designated as “Salute Week” when special efforts are in place to honor the Vets including distributing Valentines to them.
Year-round there are several ways to reach out to Veterans at VA Illiana:
• Visiting with them.
• Driving them to appointments.
• Hosting and serving a special lunch for them.
• Assembling “Blessing Bags”.
• Volunteering in the mail room.
• Volunteering with the coffee cart.
• Donating food, clothing, gift cards and other items – contact Voluntary Services at the VA at 217-554-5709 for details on how to volunteer as an individual or group.