Consultancy services for the Seven Forks solar PV project in Kenya
The Kenya Electricity Generating Company PLC (KenGen) invites applicants to show their interest in delivering consultancy services for the supervision and management of the 42.5MWac Seven Forks Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Power Project.
DEADLINE: 21 February 2024 at 10am (EAT)
The Seven Forks solar farm is a solar PV farm under construction in Mbeere South Constituency, Embu County in Kenya. Reported to be in its permitting stage in July of 2023, the project is expected to get commissioned in 2024, post-construction.
The services of the consultant shall consist of, but not limited to:
- Review of the project documentation throughout the project period
- Assistance with the initial selection (pre-qualification) of EPC Contractors
- Assistance in tender documentation, bidding, evaluation, pre-contract discussion and award of EPC Contractor
- Design review and approval of EPC contractor’s design documentation and construction drawings
- Supervision of construction and commissioning
- Participation in factory acceptance tests (FAT) of equipment
- Ensure the transfer of knowledge
- Management of defects liability period and project closure
- Provide consultancy services for local works including but not limited to, tender documentation, design, assistance in procurement of contractors and supervision of the implementation of local works
- Contract management of the EPC Contract and local works
The duration of the assignment to provide consultancy services is expected to be fifty-eight (58) calendar months.
As KenGen received financing from the French Development Agency (AFD), the eligibility criteria are specified in sub-clause 1.3 of the “Procurement Guidelines for AFD Financed Contracts in Foreign Countries”, available online on AFD’s website.
The Applicant shall submit only one application, either in its own name or as a member of a Joint Venture (JV). If an Applicant (including any JV member) submits or participates in more than one application, those applications shall be all rejected. However, the same sub-consultant may participate in several applications. If the Applicant is a JV, the expression of interest shall include:
- A copy of the JV agreement entered into by all members; or
- A letter of intent to execute a JV agreement, signed by all members together with a copy of the agreement proposal.
In the absence of this document, the other members will be considered as sub-consultants.
The experiences and qualifications of sub-consultants are not taken into account in the evaluation of the applications.
Qualifications and experience
The experiences and qualifications of sub-consultants are not taken into account in the evaluation of the applications. Interested Applicants must provide information evidencing that they are qualified and experienced to perform those Services.
For that purpose, documented evidence of recent and similar services shall be submitted in the form of extracts of contracts showing the name of the project, parties to the contract, the signed page and evidence of project completion. Only completed projects will be considered for evaluation.
A. Determination of the similarity of the experiences will be based on:
- A.1 The contract’s size: A minimum of five (5) Solar PV grid-connected or mini-grid power projects within the last ten (10) years. Two (2) of the five projects must be grid-connected and not less than 50MWp each.
- A.2 Two (2) Solar PV grid-connected power projects, each with a minimum system size of 50MWp within the last ten (10) years.
- A.3 The nature of the Services: Including but not limited to engineering and design review, works supervision, training and knowledge transfer, risk management, project and contract management and reporting of similar works.
- A.4 The technical area and expertise;
A.4.1 Demonstrated experience in the design of a minimium of two (2) grid-connected solar PV Power Projects each of at least 50MWp within the last 10 years.
A.4.2 Supervision of a minimum two (2) grid-connected Solar (PV) Power Projects each of at least 50MWp within the last 10 years.
A.4.3 Demonstrated experience in supervision of installation and integration of minimum two (2) Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) each of at least 5MWh.
A.4.4 Supervision services of a minimum two (2) 132kV substations and transmission lines.
- A.5 The location: experience in Sub-saharan Africa.
B. The Client will also take into account for the evaluation of the applications the following items:
- B.1 Skills and availability of in-house technical back-up experts provided to the on-site experts;
- B.2 Local representatives/partners
- B.3 Quality assurance procedures and certifications of the Applicant. Quality Management Certificate ISO 9001; Environmental Management Certificate ISO 14001; Health and Safety Management Certificate ISO 45001.
An application that does not meet any of the requirements listed under section A will be rejected.
Among the submitted applications, KenGen will shortlist a maximum of six (6) Applicants, to whom the Request for Proposals to carry out the Services shall be sent.
The Expressions of Interest must be submitted physically in triplicate (one original and two copies) to the address below no later than 21 February 2024 at 10am EAT.
The EOI will be opened on the same day in public at 10:30am at KenGen RBS Building, 6th floor in the presence of bidders’ representatives who choose to attend. The Expressions of Interest must be clearly labelled and the Tender No. KGN-BDD-014-2023 indicated on the surface.
The General Manager, Supply Chain,
Kenya Electricity Generating Company PLC,
9th Floor, KenGen Pension Plaza II,
Kolobot Road, Parklands,
P O Box 47936, 00100 Nairobi, Kenya.
Tel: +254 711036000.
Interested Applicants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours:
Interested bidders can view and download the full Expression of Interest (EoI) documents.
The interested parties may request clarification on this Expression of Interest up to seven (7) days before the submission date. Bidders are advised to regularly check the website from time to time up to seven (7) days before the submission date for any uploaded information through clarification/addendum.